Wednesday 1 January 2014

Why am I breathless?

Q:I'm 29 weeks pregnant and I feel hot and have swollen feet.I find it hard to breathe,and often feel as if I'll faint.Is it just the warmer weather?


A:You'll be much more sensitive to heat now you're pregnant.As you're in your third trimester,breathlessness and fainting can occur due to your uterus getting bigger.Your metabolism has increased,making you feel warmer than normal,so try to stay cool and drink plenty of fluids.Pregnancy hormones can contribute to the flushes you've had,too.Swollen feet can be down to the heat and not resting enough.However,if the swelling is excessive,see your midwife and get your blood pressure and urine checked to rule out a serious condition called pre-eclampsia,the symptoms of which include swelling,as well as high blood pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment